Minutes of business meeting held at 11.00 on 21/02/17
1. There were 39 Members present and 6 Apologies.
2. The Minutes of the Meeting on 17th January were accepted as a true record.
3. The Chairman noted that the dates of the November and January meetings were incorrect in the Minutes. (These have been corrected in the version posted on the website.)
4. There were no Guests at the Meeting.
5. The Treasurer had apologised for his absence on holiday.
The Secretary had received a flyer advertising the Scottish Fiddle Orchestra who will be putting on a show at the Sage Gateshead on 6th May. He also again invited Nominations for Speaker Finder and Ordinary Committee Member in time for the AGM in April.
The Website Manager said that he had received reports of some difficulties with the website which he would resolve.
The Chairman thanked Dick Hawkins and Stefan Barnes for putting together next year’s programme and producing the programme card.
The Speaker Finder reported that with the completion of his last programme, he felt ‘relaxed’.
6. Keith had visited Whinstone View as a possible venue for the next Members’ Lunch. The Group Menu was expensive at £20 for 2 courses, but the website menu offered a good choice of starters and main courses at prices from £4 for starters and from £10 for main courses. It was agreed that Keith would make a booking for 5th April at 12.30 for 1pm.
7. The Chairman distributed most of the tickets for the trip to Evita on 29th March. He will hand out the remainder at the next meeting on 21st March.
8. Following discussions in Committee and with Members, the most popular options for Trips later in the year were Skinningrove Mining Museum followed by lunch at the Grinkle Park Hotel, Souter Lighthouse with lunch at Bellini’s followed by a visit to the Glass Centre in Sunderland and ‘Crazy for You’ at the Newcastle Royal Theatre. After discussion, it was agreed that the Chairman would contact Skinningrove Mining Museum with a view to a visit on or around June 7th. Souter Lighthouse would be a possibility for an autumn trip. Harrogate and Ripley Castle would be considered for a Trip in 2018.
9. The Chairman presented Brian Aston, the original Chairman with a photograph of Brian and himself to mark the 30th Anniversary of the founding of the Club. Winners of the Fun Draw ‘Times Great Railway Journeys’ were Alan Turnbull and Stefan Barnes. Colin Hinton won ‘Desert Island Discs Facts and Figures at 70’. Mike Humphrey won a 2017 RHS Week to View Diary.
10. The next Meeting will be on Tuesday 21st March. The speaker will be Mike Toogood on ‘Bletchley Park and Enigma’.
Approved by ……………………..………Chairman Date……………………..