Home The Club Trips & Information Members Interests Business Minutes Guest Speakers

Marske-by-the-sea is a large village situated on the North East coast, between Saltburn-by-the-Sea and Redcar.

Marske-by-the Sea near Redcar is a Scandinavian pronunciation of the English word marsh, and was a settlement near marshy land.
Viking influence is demonstrated in these names by the substitution of the English SH sound with the Viking SK. The hardened SK, or SC sounds are found in Viking-influenced place names like Scarborough, Skelton and Skeeby and are quite common in Yorkshire. Such names are rare in County Durham, where SH sounds predominate, but one notable exception is the name of the River Skerne.

Mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1085, Marske was to become the most important village along the coast.
The Village gave host to Saxons and Danes before the Normans finally settled building the first St. Germains Church in 1160.

The Royal Flying Corps had a landing strip and schools in Marske. 'Captain' W. E. Johns, the author of the Biggles books, was based at Marske during part of the first World War, from April till August 1918.