Hartburn is a suburb of Stockton. The village was developed over centuries with the growth of desirable housing. In 1183 William de Hertburne exchanged Hartburn for land in Washington, Co. Durham. His new title was William de Wessyngton. A descendant of William was George Washington.
In 1711 Hartburn, together with Stockton and Preston, by an Act of Parliament, became a separate parish from Norton. All Saints' church was at one time the village school, which, was founded in 1875. Adjoining the school/church are three cottages, two at the front and one at the back, and they were originally known as 1, 2 and 3 School Cottages. In front of the church is a huge boulder which was used in the past for beating flax. The boulder now bears a brass plaque commemorating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Hartburn village has managed to retain much of its character despite the urban development on the fields to the west known as Sunnyside. A very popular place with children for picnics, it also has an abundance of wild flowers. There is still a walk from Hartburn village over the fields to Preston Park and the museum. Hartburn is now protected by a preservation order, and there are several listed buildings including the manor house.