Minutes of business meeting held at 11.00 on 18/10/16
1. There were 32 Members present and 10 Apologies.
2. The Minutes of the Meeting on 20th September were accepted as a true record.
3. There were no Matters Arising
4. The Chairman welcomed Alan Turnbull as a new Member. He had been introduced by Maj Chuhan.
5. There were no Guests at the Meeting.
6. Committee Reports. The Treasurer noted that the Chairman had circulated the menus for the Christmas Lunch at the Wainstones Hotel. The cost has been held at £16 for the fifth year running. Hard copies were available at the Meeting for Members who do not have email. He requested that Members confirm their attendance and make payment by the next Meeting on 15th November.
The Secretary, Website Manager and Speaker Finder had nothing to report.
7. 8 Members and 1 Guest had attended the Members Lunch at Chapters Hotel in Stokesley on 5th October. The meal had been quite good but the service was rather slow.
8. Venues for Members Lunches in 2017 were open to suggestions. The dates proposed were 5th April and 4th October. These were the first Wednesdays in April and October as is the Club tradition. However, the Chairman remarked that neither the day of the week or the calendar timing was fixed. The Crathorne Arms and Judges were possibilities. Judges would be more expensive than most pubs which the Club had visited in the past. Derek Whiting suggested Acklam Hall on Hall Drive. Decisions were deferred until more research had been done.
9. The trip to Castle Howard on 30th November will cost £27 per person. Please make payment to David Middleton by 15th November. The coach pick up times will be 09.15 at Great Ayton, 09.20 at Stokesley and 09.30 at Hutton Rudby.
10. The Chairman invited suggestions for Trips in 2017. If these were held at the traditional timings, they would be on 7th June and 2nd August. Possibilities included the Cleveland Ironstone Mine Museum at Skinningrove, followed by lunch at Grinkle Park Hotel; Hartlepool Power Station; the Carlisle to Settle Railway; the National Trust Souter Lighthouse; a trip to Hull, the City of Culture for 2017; Bede’s World; Ripley Castle; and the North York Moors Railway. There is nothing suitable at any of the theatres, but concerts outdoors or at Ampleforth might be of interest. These will all be considered at the next Committee Meeting.
11. AOB. Alwyn Boulby had metal poppy badges for sale to Members at £2 each. The fun draw prizes were Desert Island Discs Encyclopaedias won by Mervyn Davies and Jeffrey Richardson.
12. The next Meeting will be on Tuesday 15th November. The speaker will be Bob Woodhouse on ‘Pubs, Parsons and Parasols’
Approved by ……………………..………Chairman Date……………………..