Minutes of business meeting held at 11.00 on 16/08/16
1. There were 30 Members present and 11 Apologies.
2. The Minutes of the Meeting on 19th July were accepted as a true record.
3. There were no Matters Arising
4. The Chairman welcomed John Edwards as a New Member.
5. There were no Guests at the Meeting.
6. Len Wheatley (a past Member) had informed the Chairman that Ken Baker had died on 16th July aged 92. Ken had joined Probus in 2001 and had been Chairman in 2006/07. He had a doctorate in agricultural research and had been a bomber pilot in the Second World War. He had been Chairman of the British Legion Branch in Osmotherley. Alwyn Boulby knew Ken and had been to his Memorial Service. Ken had been 15 at the outbreak of World War II. By the end he was flying a Lancaster bomber from Lincolnshire. Alwyn went with him on board the Lancaster which visited Durham Tees Valley airport in 2014.
7. Committee Reports. The Treasurer and Membership Secretary reported that the trip to Tennants at Leyburn had been subsidised by £70 from the remaining part of the Harry Tarrant Legacy Fund.
The Secretary, Website Manager and Speaker Finder all had nothing to report.
8. The Chairman reported that he had visited Whinstone View to assess its suitability for the Members’ Lunch on 5th October. The set menu offered 2 courses for £19.50 and 3 courses for £25.00. The alternative was the a la carte menu. These prices seemed expensive and a cheaper menu was only available in the early evening. After some discussion, it was agreed that Keith would investigate Chapters Restaurant in Stokesley which has received favourable comments. If this was suitable, he would book it.
9. It was agreed that the trip to Tennants at Leyburn had been very successful. After refreshments on arrival, David Tennant gave a very informative and entertaining talk. We then received a guided tour followed by lunch. Then we saw areas being set up for a viewing before auctions, before tea and cakes to finish the day.
For the trip to Castle Howard on 30th November, 12 Members and 16 Guests had booked so far. There had been 5 Apologies. The cost of the trip would be about £25 for admission and the coach. Members and Guests would have a choice of refreshments to buy on the day.
10. AOB. Dick Hawkins will retire as Speaker Finder at the AGM in April 2017. Keith Burton has volunteered to shadow Dick when he prepares the Speaker List for the next session. Dick explained that his role is not as onerous as it may appear. He has a network which identifies Speakers and they all want to give talks. Members were invited to express an interest if they wish to take over from Dick. There were no comments or questions.
The fun draw prizes were ’The Random History of Rugby’ won by Keith Bell, ‘The Random History of Golf’ won by Alwyn Boulby and ‘The Olympic Games Miscellany’ won by Keith Burton.
11. The next Meeting will be on Tuesday 20th September. The speaker will be Bob Goodhall on ‘Early Cycling 1869 to the Present Day.
Approved by ……………………..………Chairman Date……………………..