Great Broughton is a village in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire. It is located two miles south of Stokesley, on the edge of the North York Moors National Park and the Cleveland Hills. Together with the adjacent village of Little Broughton, it forms a civil parish within Hambleton. The two villages are listed (under their Latin names Magna Broctun and Parva Broctun) in the Domesday book of 1086. The name "Broughton" is a common English placename, derived from Old English meaning "farmstead by a brook".
The village is overlooked by the Wainstones, a rocky outcrop popular with climbers, and lies on the Cleveland Way. Broughton Beck flows northward through the village, joining the River Leven, a tributary of the Tees, at Stokesley.
During the 19th century the local economy was largely dependant on Jet mining, and evidence of the drift mining that took place can still be found at Cold Moor and Hasty Bank.