The Probus Club of Stokesley and District Minutes of business meeting held at 11.00 on 17/05/16
1. There were 29 Members present and 17 Apologies.
2. The Minutes of the Meeting on 15th March were accepted as a true record.
3. Matters arising: The Chairman distributed Speaker Programme Cards, Name Badges and Anniversary Pens to Members not present at the previous Meeting.
4. Keith Waller welcomed John Upton as a new Member of the Club.
5. There were no Guests at the Meeting.
6. Committee Reports. The Treasurer reported that the Club had 49 Members of whom 42 had paid their subscriptions. He would contact the other 7.
The Secretary and Website Manager apologised for their absences. Neither had anything to report.
The Speaker Finder had nothing to report.
7. A Members’ Lunch had been held at Chadwicks Inn in Maltby on 6th April. It was attended by 13 Members and 2 Guests. There were 5 Apologies from Members. Members generally thought that this had been another excellent occasion. It was a good venue with good quality food well presented. The next Members’ Lunch will be arranged for 6th October at a venue to be agreed from a short-
8. 7 Members and 3 Guests had booked for the trip to the Aston Martin Workshops with Apologies from 13 Members. A minimum of 12 people was needed to qualify for the Group Rate. Making the trip with 10 would have resulted in an additional charge of £20 per person. Following discussion, several Members gave very
clear support to cancelling the visit. The Chairman welcomed the clarity of the ecision and would inform the Aston Martin Workshops. For the trip to Tennants Auction Rooms in Leyburn on 3rd August, 10 Members and 11 Guests had booked with Apologies from 8 Members. A minimum of 15 was required for the Group rate to apply. Keith will confirm the booking and pay a deposit. There is still time for additional Members and Guests to join the trip.
For the visit to Castle Howard, 10 Members and 14 Guests had booked with 6 Apologies from Members. With a minimum of 15 people required for the Group rate, Members agreed that this trip was viable. Keith had invited Alan Crosskill as an immediate past Member and proposer of the trip, together with his wife Elisabeth, to join the trip as Guests and they had accepted.
9. AOB. The Chairman highlighted articles in the 100th Edition of ‘Now and Then’, including letters from Alwyn Boulby and Derek Whiting and also a Gertrude Bell exhibition at Kirkleatham Museum. Edition 101 will include a photograph of the Probus Committee courtesy of Derek Whiting. Also thanks to Derek, the D&S Times of 29th April had included a photograph of Brian Aston and the Chairman celebrating the Probus 30th Anniversary.
For the Fun Draw, the Chairman issued to the Committee, the support team of Chris Stirk, Jim Gannon and Maj Chuhan a set of 3 books: ‘Treachery’, ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘I Can’t Begin to Tell You’ as part of a scheme to promote reading.
Jim King, who supports the reading project and the Town Hall steward, Bill Atkinson were also given sets. The prizes in the raffle were sets won by David Fordy and Dan Humphrey.
10. The next Meeting will be on Tuesday 21st June. The speaker will be Hugh Charman on ‘The Stokesley Flax Mill Part 1’.
Approved by ……………………..………Chairman Date……………………..