Minutes of business meeting held at 11.00 on 21/10/14
Keith opened the meeting by reporting that Bill Skinner is not at all well. He will send a card to him and his wife.
1. There were 34 members present and 15 apologies.
2. The Minutes of the last Meeting were accepted as a true record.
3. There were no Matters Arising.
4. There were no Guests at the meeting.
5. It was agreed by all those who went that the trip to see Top Hat at the Newcastle Theatre Royal had been a great success. 14 members and 12 guests had enjoyed the show and there had been 16 apologies. The chairman highlighted the usefulness of Apologies in planning events and that the total of those responding were the bulk of the active membership of the club.
6. During a general discussion, the consensus was that theatre trips were seen by members as worthwhile. The opportunity to shop before the performance was particularly valued by some wives! This led to a conclusion that a trip to York in June 2015 should be further investigated. A boat trip would be an alternative to shopping.
7. 13 members attended the lunch at the Bay Horse in Hutton Rudby on 1st October. There were 6 apologies. Those present agreed it had been a successful occasion.
8. Looking Back. The Secretary of the day had written a little book on the history of the club until 2001. Keith had started to update this under 10 headings and had circulated preliminary drafts. He requested feedback and contributions from members. The Secretary will look in the archive for records between 2001 and 2009.
9. Treasurer’s Report. The cost of the Christmas lunch will be £16 per head for both Members and Guests. There will be no subsidy this year from the legacy fund. Members are requested to let David know their menu choices and to pay by 18th November. The meal at the Wainstones Hotel in Great Broughton will be on Tuesday 16th December at 12.30 for 1.00pm
Secretary – Nothing to report.
Website manager – Stefan alerted the membership to a recent virus sent out by email. This has the subject line ‘Your theatre tickets are attached’. This should be deleted without being read.
Speaker Finder – Nothing to Report
10. The Poppy Appeal last month raised £23.
On 13th October, the Evening Gazette ran a feature on Derek Whiting and his photographs. Keith commended it to members.
The winners of the fun raffle were Bob Ashby and Alwyn Boulby. The prizes were copies of a book entitled ‘All the Countries We've Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To’.
11. The next meeting will be held on 18th November. The speaker will be Edward Bunting who will talk on Lake District Contrasts.
Approved by ……………………..………Chairman Date……………………..