Minutes of business meeting held at 11.00 on 17/11/15
1. There were 33 Members present and 11 Apologies.
2. The Minutes of the last Meeting were accepted as a true record.
3. There were no Matters Arising.
4. There was one Guest: David Chadwick who was a guest of Keith Burton.
5. Harry Bowes has resigned from his role in providing refreshments for Members following a minor operation. Keith Bell volunteered to help Chris Stirk in future.
6. Committee Reports
The Treasurer reported that 50 people have booked for Christmas Lunch on 15th December. Late bookings are welcome.
The Secretary noted that a Nomination had been received for the post of Committee Member which will become vacant at the AGM in April. However, no Nomination has been made to fill the post of Chairman which will also be vacant when Keith retires at the end of his 3 year term. He asked Members, particularly those who have not held office, to consider taking on this role.
The Website Manager apologised for his absence. The Chairman advised that there was nothing to report.
The Speaker Finder thanked Members for their suggestions for talks in the 2016-
7. The Chairman provided an update on trips. Alan Crosskill had suggested a visit to Castle Howard, possibly at Christmas time when there are many additional attractions. There had been support for Mike Lawrenson’s suggestion of a visit to the Aston Martin workshops at Beamish. David Fordy wondered if there would be interest in a trip to see ‘Guys and Dolls’ in Leeds in May 2016. Other possibilities proposed were the Steamboat Museum at Windermere by Olwyn Boulby, Harewood House by Stefan Barnes and the Boulby Potash Mine.
Prizes in the Fun Draw were ‘Churchill – the Power of Words’ by Martin Gilbert. The winners were David Bryson and Malcolm D’Arcy.
8. The next Meeting will be on Tuesday 19th January. The speaker will be Dr. Alex Dellipiani on ‘Origins and Genes’. Walter Gregory will be arranging sherry and mince pies, in the excellent tradition on the first meeting of the New Year.
Approved by ……………………..………Chairman Date……………………..