The Probus Club of Stokesley and District Minutes of the 331st meeting held at 10.00 in Stokesley Town Hall on Tuesday 19th May 2015
1. There were 26 Members present and 16 Apologies.
2. Arthur Baker died on 29th April. Keith told the Meeting that he was born in
Guisborough in 1933 and went to Barnard Castle School. His early career was as a
Petty Officer in the Royal Navy. He married his wife, Dorothea, in 1958 and they had
two sons. He went to work in Malawi as a boat builder, before returning for the boys’
education. Arthur then became a teacher, a job he loved so much that he only retired
at 70. He joined Probus in 1998 and was website manager from 1999-
Vice Chairman from 1999-
3. The Minutes of the last Meeting were accepted as a true record.
4. There were no Matters Arising.
5. The Committee had approved the purchase of blank Name Badges. Keith will
produce one for each Member.
6. There were no Guests at the meeting.
7. The Treasurer requested that Members who receive a refund for the York Theatre
trip and who have not yet paid their Annual Subscription do so at the Meeting.
The Secretary and Speaker Finder had nothing to report.
The Website Manager explained that renewal terms for the club website had been
unattractive. The new web address was shown on the agenda. There will be changes
in appearance and functionality, but the new site will be much easier to use. Stefan
hoped that the new website would be operational by the end of the week. The
Chairman led appreciation of the huge effort Stefan has made on the new website.
8. The trip to Anything Goes in York has regrettably been cancelled by the Tour
Company. Members’ payments were refunded at the Meeting. The trip to the Black
Sheep Brewery and Ripon Cathedral on 5th August has been booked by 9 Members
to date and there have been 3 Apologies.
9. 14 Members had enjoyed Lunch at the Jet Miners Inn and there were 5 Apologies.
Several Members expressed their appreciation. The next Members’ Lunch will be at
the Dudley Arms in Ingleby Greenhow on 30th September.
10. In response to an invitation from the Parish Council, the Committee has decided to
be featured on their website with a link to the Club website.
British Legion VE Day Pins were available and a donation of £2 was invited for each.
David Hughes, who was 90 on 18th May has been unwell, but has been discharged
from James Cook Hospital. He is now living in the Mount Vale care home in
Northallerton. Seymour Halkin, a former Member has died at the age of 95.
Derek Whiting’s picture taken following the Roman Military talk had been featured in
the Evening Gazette, the D&S Times and the Town Crier.
The Fun Draw prizes were ‘Politics – The Little Book of Big Ideas’. They were won by
Chris Lee and John Rider. Stefan Barnes received a copy as a Thank You for his
work on the new website.
12. The next Meeting will be on Tuesday 16th June. Robin Allen will talk on ‘Protecting
Approved by ……………………..………Chairman Date……………………..